Smart Snacks in School Guidelines
The new USDA Snack Standards for schools, which is required by the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, now ensures students across the country receive nutritious & healthy foods during the school day.
USDA’s Nutrition Standards for any food sold in schools must meet the following criteria:
Besides the nutrition standards, snack foods in school must also meet the following nutrient requirements:
- Be a “whole grain-rich” grain product; or
- Have the first ingredient a fruit, a vegetable, a dairy product, or a protein food; or
- Be a combination food that contains at least 1/4 cup of fruit and/or vegetable;
Shop from our Smart Snack Lists below to ensure you're following the USDA regulations for all the snack foods sold in school.
- Snack Item Calorie Limit: ≤200 calories
- Snack Item Sodium Limit: ≤200 mg.
- Snack Item Fat Limit: ≤35% of calories
- Snack Item Sugar Limit: ≤35% of weight from total sugars
Need additional smart snack items not listed above? Please contact our customer support team at (877) 922-7635 to speak with a specialist about purchasing additional smart snack items not listed online.
Is the snack you're serving USDA Smart Snack compliant? Use the Smart Snack Calculator below provided by Alliance for a Healthier Generation to be certain you're in compliance.
SMART SNACKS CALCULATOR , CLICK HERE!